Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Weather, life, etc.

It has been c-c-cold here the last few days. My parents had a Haitian pastor visiting with them this last week and he came at a time when we've had near record lows. He is freezing. We went to Goodwill and pulled a few things out of T's closet and a friend did the same thing and found some sweaters and such. At least part of him was warm.

T and the kids were off yesterday for MLK Day. The news kept saying that we might have freezing rain/snow this morning and we thought we might get another day off. Nope, it was 34 degrees and raining when we got up so off to school/work we went. I was scheduled to teach 5 Abstinence classes this morning. Right after the first class they informed me that school was closing at 11. Huh?!? It was open early this morning when it was 34 and raining and now that it is 40 and raining, they close. I've heard two reasonings for this. One is that part of the county is/was icy and not all the kids could get to school. The other is that it might actually snow or freeze this afternoon. Either way, I finished two more classes and then I picked up the girls and came home. We're going to bake cookies. Tomorrow I'm not scheduled to work so I'll go back to school and do the two classes that I didn't get to today. That's the change subject to plan.

I was reading Leslie's blog and they are waiting on a child too. They are living in Haiti so they are waiting on a newborn or very young infant to adopt and they will be able to parent her from the beginning. The wait is getting to her. How well I understand. It's been 28 months of waiting for us. I've been thinking the end was near for over 6 months now. He's been legally ours for almost 8 months. This is insane. Some days it feels like he'll never come home and hoping hurts too much. Proverbs 13:12 says "Hope deferred makes the heart sick, but a longing fulfilled is a tree of life." My hope has been deferred for so long that at times my heart actually hurts. It hurts so bad. I'm so ready to experience the longing fulfilled. It's been so long that I can't even imagine it anymore. I used to dream about how it would feel to bring him home, to show him his room and all the things that we've prepared for him. I don't even imagine it anymore because it hurts too much to hope. That's sad. I grieve for the lost time with him.

Hmm, it seems like a lot of my posts these days are following this vein. And like the other posts, now I must think of some things I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for a cat curled up behind me purring like a little engine. I can't figure out why she's purring, but she purrs a lot so she must be a happy cat. I'm thankful for the time at home today. I'm thankful that so far this week the cars have decided to run. I'm thankful for a fireplace and that T had a fire going in it when I got home from work yesterday. I'm thankful that Tricia is awake and talking. How cool is that?!? And I'm thankful that the Lord created chocolate. I really need some right now. The darker the better.
Amy

No comments: