Friday, September 4, 2009

School

We went up to see the school this morning and I can't say enough good about it. I hope it stays that way. This is the same school that R went to 3-8 and A went K-8 so we are familiar with it but so many things have changed in the past few years since A was there. The ESL teacher was there to greet us as well as a guidance counselor (who was happy to meet me as she'd been trying to get the abstinence program at this school and another one in the system). The principle is great.

At first J was overwhelmed. He's used to everything to do with school being in about a 2,000 sq. ft. area so just the size of the building was intimidating. We went back to the office and sat down and someone asked him if he was ready to come back on Wed and he shook his head no. Oh boy, I thought. But the guidance counselor had taken a few kids aside the day before and asked them to be his buddies and just explained a little bit about him coming from a different country and that everything was going to be so new to him and those kids came and we kind of left them in a room talking and working on puzzles. He warmed right up to them and then went to PE with them, which he loved. Now he is thankfully ready to come back on Wed.

I have no idea what we'll do about lunches. I'll send him one at first but he's picky about what he eats. Any ideas? I'll probably end up giving him the option of school lunch with plenty of snacks if it's something he doesn't like. I don't know how that will play out.

I'm much relieved that they are not going to just throw him into a classroom and let him get lost in the system. It feels like we have a great group of people as a support system and we'll be meeting regularly to see what's working and what isn't. Thank you, Lord.

1 comment:

Family by Love said...

Praise God for a good school and a staff that seems to care about your individual son. That is awesome. My Matthew is very picky about food and I have to send him lunch every day. He only asks to buy lunch when they have pizza. Tell J that I wish him luck as he starts school and I know he will do great.