Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Hard day

Today was a bit rough. It started out okay with J wanting to go to the store to spend his money that his grandparents gave him. He had $23 to spend and picked so carefully, asking me how much each item cost. I told him how much and we kept adding up how much he was at and how much more he could spend. When he would find something he liked better he would put enough back to match the thing he liked better. His bill came to $22.29 so he did real well.

He got himself a cap gun and roll caps, walkie talkies, 4 wheelers, GI Joe and a couple other things. He blew off so many caps that I asked him what he was going to do when they were gone. He said he'd buy some more and I told him he better get a job. So when A went over to work at Nanny's, J said he wanted a job too. I helped him dial and he said, "This is J. May I have a job too?" His face lit up as she said sure and he went over to work. He was back fairly quickly and I asked what was wrong and he said his neck hurt. He got some water and went back to work. He again came back fairly soon and I could tell something was wrong. He was clingy and whiny and I thought he felt warm. He was running a little fever and it turns out his neck pain was actually a sore throat (or maybe due to all the times he landed on his head on the trampoline). We are visiting the doctor tomorrow instead of school. :(

I got him busy on an online learning to read site and he loved it. I bet he spent close to two hours on it today all together. Things were okay until he discovered that R and I would be going to a staff meeting. Can you say unglued?!? Wow. It was a kicking screaming hissy fit that I unfortunately had to leave his sister to deal with. When we got back J was fine and A was upset. I need to make sure that I clearly state what each day will look like, what will be happening, etc. when we get up each day. Oops. My bad. On his part, he needs to know that fits will not change what I need to do and what is appropriate for showing anger and what isn't. I also need to empower A to handle the few times she will be the caregiver. We are really trying to make sure that T or I am around most of the time. We'll talk about it again tomorrow. It's a huge learning curve. Don't stop praying for us now that J is finally home. Please. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

1 comment:

Chapter Two said...

Hi Amy,
I pray for you every day knowing that the adjustments are big for you all.
Big Sis could not handle (still has a hard time) with sudden changes in routine or plans. They weren't sudden to me and I often underestimated how much she needed to know and for reassurance of the little goodbyes. It took a long while for me to see that it was more about fear than about control (for her). She is confident, independent and drive to the outside world, but our most fear-based child on the inside.
Praying for you!
K