Thursday, September 10, 2009

It's Thursday morning...

...and J is at school for the first time here. Wow. He got up way early and was ready to go about 20 minutes before we even needed to leave. He walked right in with his backpack and lunch boxes (yes 2 of them-we had bought one and then he was given another one so sandwich and drink are in one and "snacks" are in the other) and saw the ESL teacher, shook hands with the principle and then they knocked knuckles (whatever that's called) and we walked down to his class. He got settled into his desk and I gave him a hug good bye and he was busy with the ESL teacher when I walked out. We'll have to work on the morning routine and what time to get up and all that but I'm just glad he went willingly. I hope that continues.

A couple of funnies. I asked him if he wanted big ice or small ice in his drink and he said "scrambled". I knew that that means "crushed" ice. We had some steak one night and he said it was bloody because some pink ran out when he cut it. We assured him that it was okay. The next day my mom had us over for barbecued ribs. Later on the girls were telling nanny how good it was and J said, "It was bloody, but it was good." Apparently barbecue sauce looks bloody to him.

So much to learn, for all of us. Keep praying that things go well. Someone warned me this morning that we are in the "honeymoon phase". I was like, it's going to get worse?!?! Oh my.

2 comments:

Chapter Two said...

Yeah for a good first day off to school! I think you'll be amazed at how well his English will come along for being there. Our kids crashed after school (seriously sleepy) for all of that intense effort to understand and get along. I wonder if you'll see that.

Praying for you!

Family by Love said...

I keep praying. We did have a "honeymoon phase" with Michael, but I don't think that it is the same with every kid. I am just pleased that Michael has had a really good day so far today and had a good day yesterday.