Tuesday, October 9, 2007

No pics today

I was right. The girls decided not to dress up today so no pics of them. Tomorrow promises to be interesting though.

Yesterday and today were interesting at work. The "boss" (she's really one of my best friends-I just happen to work in their store) went to get mums. When she got back her step dad was parking the trailer for her when the brakes went out on the vehicle. Well, it began a slow descent towards the river that's behind the store. B (who also works there) had the presence of mind to steer towards the smaller creek that runs into the river. Once the vehicle went over the edge, the embankment on the other side stopped it. Yes, the trailer was still attached. They got the trailer off and took pics and tried to figure out what to do. It was decided that we didn't have the horse power to pull it out and a wrecker was called. About 45 minutes after it happened, the local police showed up. Those guys are quick, aren't they? Not one, not two, but three police cruisers show up. Think Mayberry. When the wrecker pulled it out, the left front was banged up a bit. By that time, the news was all over town. One of the dealers came in and I was going to tell her about it she said she'd already seen pics that a neighbor took! Again, think Mayberry. No one was hurt and the vehicle will be repaired.

Today, another guy that works with us wrecked the front of his vehicle trying to avoid a deer. He opted for the guardrail instead. We're all a little "skeered" now. Then the doorknob fell off the bathroom door today with a customer inside. B came through and said, "Did the doorknob fall off the bathroom door? I see someone moving inside there." I had not been aware of it and we went and looked and sure enough, the doorknob was missing and you could see fingers moving in there. I asked if someone was stuck inside and he said, "Uh, yes ma'am. I can't seem to get this open." B got the door open for him and the guy's wife was standing over to the side looking at something and she smiles and says, "Oh, just leave him in there a little longer. I've got some more shopping to do." Yeah, one more time, think Mayberry.

I have a couple of different devotional books that I like to read from. One is "God Things Come In Small Packages". They take scriptures and put them together in a "note" type format, then there is a devotional and then some "closing" thoughts on the subject. Today's "note from God" was; "I'm near when you call upon Me. I hear your cry and save you. I've redeemed you and called you by name. You are Mine! When you feel like you're drowning in life's circumstances, I won't let you be overwhelmed. And I won't let the fires of life burn you. Your flesh and your heart might fail, but I am the strength of your heart and your portion forever. Comforting you, Your Living God" taken from Psalm 145:18-19; Isaiah43:1; Psalm 73:26. The "closing thoughts" are; "God is near those crushed in spirit. He sees every tear, feels every pain. When no one else can possibly understand the condition of your soul, God knows. If all you can do is breathe, He is as close as that breath. Collapse in His ourstretched arms." I love the vision of collapsing in His outstretched arms. That's where I was last Friday. All I could do was breathe. I'm at a better place now. No, we haven't gotten any news but God has come quietly and given me a hope, an encouragement. And I am thankful. Do I like what's happening? No way. Do I trust Him? Yes.

1 comment:

Family by Love said...

Amy,
Thanks for sharing that devotional. God truly is mighty and as I sit her feeding my newborn son and dreaming of bringing my Haitian son home, those thoughts and verses were just what I needed.
Ruth