Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Learning

J stayed home today. I figured it would happen so I was prepared for it. I knew he would feel bad when he first woke up and he whined a little bit while I was getting his clothes out and stuff and then he started with the louder whining about his throat. I told him to come down and get a drink of water and see if that helped. I explained to him that when people have colds they ususally feel worse when they first get up and that once you're up and moving you feel better. I gave him the choice of staying home in bed or going to school. If he had a fever or was obviously really sick I wouldn't have given him a choice, I'd have just kept him home. He chose to stay home in bed.

So today he learned some things. He learned that if you are so sick that you have to stay home from school, you are going to spend most of the day in bed. He looked at books and did some coloring and played quietly with some toys. He also learned that I don't just sit around the house on my days off that I actually do quite a bit of work. And the best thing he learned was to entertain himself somewhat when he's really bored. Entertaining himself is a huge thing as he has not been able to do that so far.

He is now watching a movie and I've given him instructions not to run around or get too excited, etc. He has decided to go to school tomorrow. I hope he is well enough to go.

A went to school today and has plays to do tomorrow. She sounds congested too but neither one of them seem to feel bad. And no fevers, so that's good. We'll see what tomorrow holds.

1 comment:

Chapter Two said...

Oy. I hope you're all well again soon.

A couple of my kiddos had to learn to seek me out when they had pains, fears, problems. It was part of our bonding process -- that they could trust I could help. I think it's good your boy seeks you out.

Good lesson, too.