Thursday, February 14, 2008

New pic and more Psalms

Look at this boy. Isn't he too handsome?!? This is our newest pic of J.

We haven't heard a thing yet this week. I wish the "powers that be" in Haiti had the tiniest inkling of how much this hurts. Of how much the waiting hurts. It just seems so senseless. I know the week is not over but we're awful close to Friday without hearing anything. Days turn into weeks, weeks into months and months into years. It's so hard.

I spend a LOT of time in the Psalms. In fact, other than my Bible study and a few places in Romans, I pretty much read Psalms. They are comforting to me. I'll share a few more of my favorites. Several parts (though not all) of Psalm 37 "Don't be worried on account of the wicked; don't be jealous of those who do wrong. They will soon disappear like grass that dries up; they will die like plants that wither. Trust in the LORD and do good; live in the land and be safe. Seek your happiness in the LORD, and he will give you your heart's desire. Give yourself to the LORD; trust in him, and he will help you; he will make your righteousness shine like the noonday sun. Be patient and wait for the LORD to act; don't be worried about those who prosper or those who succeed in their evil plans. Don't give in to worry or anger; it only leads to trouble. Those who trust in the LORD will possess the land, but the wicked will be driven out. The LORD guides us in the way we should go and protects those who please him. If they fall, they will not stay down, because the LORD will help them up. I am old now; I have lived a long time, but I have never seen good people abandoned by the LORD or their children begging for food. At all times they give freely and lend to others, and their children are a blessing. Turn away from evil and do good, and your descendants will always live in the land; for the LORD loves what is right and does not abandon his faithful people. He protects them forever, but the descendants of the wicked will be driven out. The righteous will possess the land and live in it forever. Put your hope in the LORD and obey his commands; he will honor you by giving you the land, and you will see the wicked driven out. I once knew someone wicked who was a tyrant; he towered over everyone like a cedar of Lebanon; but later I passed by, and he wasn't there; I looked for him, but couldn't find him. The LORD saves the righteous and protects them in times of trouble. He helps them and rescues them; he saves them from the wicked, because they go to him for protection." This one basically tells me to trust in the Lord, not in men, and to wait patiently for Him and He will take care of things.

Another favorite is (parts of) Psalm 42 "As a deer longs for a stream of cool water, so I long for you, O God. I thirst for you, the living God. When can I go and worship in your presence? Day and night I cry, and tears are my only food; all the time my enemies ask me, "Where is your God?" May the LORD show his constant love during the day, so that I may have a song at night, a prayer to the God of my life. To God, my defender, I say, "Why have you forgotten me? Why must I go on suffering from the cruelty of my enemies?" I am crushed by their insults, as they keep on asking me, "Where is your God?" Why am I so sad? Why am I so troubled? I will put my hope in God, and once again I will praise him, my savior and my God." This one basically tells me to seek after God, to thirst for Him, to hope in Him.

I also like parts of this one. Psalm 40 "I waited patiently for the LORD's help; then he listened to me and heard my cry. He pulled me out of a dangerous pit, out of the deadly quicksand. He set me safely on a rock and made me secure. He taught me to sing a new song, a song of praise to our God. Many who see this will take warning and will put their trust in the LORD. Happy are those who trust the LORD, who do not turn to idols or join those who worship false gods. You have done many things for us, O LORD our God; there is no one like you! You have made many wonderful plans for us. May those who make fun of me be dismayed by their defeat. May all who come to you be glad and joyful. May all who are thankful for your salvation always say, "How great is the LORD!" I am weak and poor, O Lord, but you have not forgotten me. You are my savior and my God--- hurry to my aid!"

And I read this one about once a week or so. Psalm 34 "I will always thank the LORD; I will never stop praising him. I will praise him for what he has done; may all who are oppressed listen and be glad! Proclaim with me the LORD's greatness; let us praise his name together! I prayed to the LORD, and he answered me; he freed me from all my fears. The oppressed look to him and are glad; they will never be disappointed. The helpless call to him, and he answers; he saves them from all their troubles. His angel guards those who honor the LORD and rescues them from danger. Find out for yourself how good the LORD is. Happy are those who find safety with him. Honor the LORD, all his people; those who obey him have all they need. Even lions go hungry for lack of food, but those who obey the LORD lack nothing good. ...The LORD is near to those who are discouraged; he saves those who have lost all hope. Good people suffer many troubles, but the LORD saves them from them all; ..." This tells me that God hears and answers my prayers. That He rescues me and saves me when I've lost hope.

Have you checked out the other blogs I read? The Rollings picked up their baby and things are going well for them. Lots of things (mostly good) happening with Tricia and Gwyneth. Check them out.

I am still praying for good news this week and definitely still surrendered to God's will.

Amy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amy, he is indeed a handsome young man! I'm praying.

hugs,
Danelle