Friday, November 23, 2007

The hang nail gone awry


It was just a hang nail, I promise. This morning we decided that I should seek medical treatment for my fat finger. (It's the fat one in the pic, not the red one). My GP was closed. My dermatologist was closed. I was not going to go to an emergency room for a hang nail. I finally found a walk-in clinic that was open and it was on the closer, not so busy (as in, not near any shopping malls) side of town. Yay! ~ Now, I have worked at my current job for 2 1/2 years and had not called in sick. Until today. Because of the hang nail gone bad. It wasn't a problem but I had to ask and that was hard. ~ I expected the clinic to be over run with people and sickies coughing and hacking on everything but it wasn't. Pleasant surprise. I waited about a half hour, got into a room and waited another half hour. The doc comes in and says, "You have an infection called 'parnichia' (sp?) and we're going to take care of you." Treatment began with a shot. Not so pleasant surprise. So now my butt hurts too. Anyway, I got a script for antibiotics and then they took an X-ray. It was just a hang nail! They had to make sure the infection hasn't gotten into the bone or muscle tissue. And get this, if it's not better by Friday they will lance it. I am seriously hoping and praying that my hang nail gone awry does not lead to the use of sharp instruments in it's treatment. Watch out for those hang nails. They'll get you one day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, I just googled hang nails and walk in clinics because I have a REALLY BAD hang nail, I mean, JESUS I'm in pain, and have recently taken time off work so I didn't...watn to take off more to go to a pediatrist. But thankfully I know now I can go into a walk in clinic after work and they will take care of me. =0) Thank you!

-Erin in New York