Saturday, November 22, 2008

Horses, neighbors and good Samaritans on the side of the road

T and I were in the bathroom this morning. I was putting on some makeup and T was brushing his teeth when we heard a car horn. I said it must be the mailman and T went and checked it out. He came running back in and said the horses were out on the road. My dad had a horse get hit on the road one time and it didn't make it. You kind of go into panic mode. I prayed over and over for the Lord to protect them. I thought, I can't see, so I grabbed my glasses and put them on. He was getting his shoes on. I thought, my hair is wet, so I grabbed a hat and we both got our coats on. We ran outside and looked at the cars and at each other. He said let's take Elvis, he's already pointing out (we have a very narrow place to turn around). I asked if he had keys. No. He ran back in for keys and I said to meet me by the barn. All of this was said/done while running around in circles. I ran to the barn and got a bucket with some grain and three halters and lead ropes.

That was the fastest trip Elvis ever made down the driveway. He's kind of low to the ground and bottomed out a few times. Anyway, multiple people had stopped on the road, one of which had driven up to the house to let us know about the horses. A neighbor from either side was already there and one of them had a grain can and they had a hold of the horses manes. The people were stopped in their cars to make sure no one hit the horses. Except for one person that plowed through and took off with their loud car and spooked the horses. Weeellll. Anyway, we got the halters on the horses and led them back up the driveway and into the other pasture.

Today I'm thankful that the horses didn't get hit. I'm thankful for good neighbors. And I'm thankful for good samaritans that stopped and let us know what was going on and stopped their cars so they didn't hit the horses. I'm glad to report that the horses are fine. The humans are okay too.

No comments: