Friday, February 12, 2010

Happy Birthday A!

A turns 17 today. Her birth was easy but difficult at the same time. Both of my babies came pretty fast from the time labor started to the time they were born (4 hours and 3 hours). But A was an occipital posterior presentation (face up) and she was a half an inch shorter and a pound and a half heavier than R was. Plus her head was stuck on my pelvis, which was torn during birth, and she arrived with a blue tinge to her and a big bump on her head. That was after a difficult pregnancy. Anyway, I'm glad she's here and love her very much.

She is quite funny even though she's moody sometimes. She's making some plans for her future and seems to have her head on straight. She loves to have fun. She loves theater, fashion, and art. She is an amazing artist. She's still looking for a job. She drives a little car we call Elvis and she doesn't even know what kind of car it is. It's just Elvis, who shakes, rattles and rolls.

The bump on her head that she was born with, that they told me would go away, is still there. God blessed her with a head full of thick hair that covers it nicely. I always thought of her hair as "golden silk". She has about three times as much hair as I do. Her daddy's bald so it must come from a little further down the line :) Something people always noticed about her as a newborn was her hair. It was thick and dark and stood straight up. She always had really long hair as a little girl but gave a foot or more to "Locks of Love" when she was in second grade. She has a pretty generous heart.

When she was three and talked all the time and we didn't understand anything, we decided to get some help. She took a couple years of speech therapy and it must have worked because she's never had problems getting parts in plays. A couple of my favorite stories of her speech therapy days are when the teacher was so proud and said they had worked on a word until she got it down and it was a compound word. She told A to say her word and A said, "Dafbub," which translates to bathtub. Another favorite is when T was on a business trip and my SIL and I left the 5 girls with T's brother so we could go to a line dancing class. When we got back to their house A was upset. She said, "'Im not my pend no mo. Un o Ta. 'Im not di me an'pin'! " Which all translated to "Him not my friend no more. Uncle Todd. Him not give me anything!" Yeah, that's why she was in speech class. And we still say dafbub, 'im not di me an'pin' (with the accompanying hand motions that she used for emphasis) and Mark, Luke and King Junior Day for MLK Day.

A, I hope you have a great day and a blessed year. We love you lots!

No comments: