Monday, December 12, 2011

Much ado about nothing

I know, it's been nearly a week. Life is crazy.

A has a cold, or something. And she has some weird red splotches in the back of the roof of her mouth. Sigh...she's suppose to get her tonsils out in 10 days. We are going to have her gargle with warm salt water and see how it is in the morning. Any ideas?

My parents are back from FL. Woot! They had a good time and are now trying to settle back into life here.

J did not earn his gum on the first day of his testing. The reading part threw him for a loop. He did ok the rest of the week though. He's trying to decide what to do with his hair. If you pull it out straight it's about 2 1/2-3 inches long. We could lock it. We could have it braided. Or if he would just brush/pick it out he could have big hair. That's what I'd prefer but he doesn't like to pick it.

I had a better week last week with fibromyalgia. Thankful for that. The doxycycline doesn't seem like it helped much this time as I really struggled last week. Sigh...

I recently used Loreal Healthy Look semi-permanent hair color. It's suppose to last through 28 washings and doesn't contain ammonia. Loved it! Recommend it! It's lasted at least 28 washings and covered the gray well. The time before that I used a "mousse-like" color that was fairly easy to apply but just didn't color like Excellence cream or Healthy Look and it didn't last well either. Go figure. That's my product review for the day.

Oh wait, I have another one. I've been using my homemade laundry soap for over a month now. I have a hard time with the lack of sudsing (it's "between the ears") but the clothes come out clean and it's so economical that I will keep using it. The recipe is; 1 bar of Fels Naptha soap, 1 cup washing soda (NOT baking soda, but it is made by Arm and Hammer) and 1/2-1 cup of borax. My cousin started out with 1/2 cup but had upped it to 1 cup by the time I made mine. I've only made the 1 cup version. You cut the Fels naptha soap up into small pieces and then process in a blender or food processor. I used a blender because I don't have a food processor. Add the borax and washing soda and process a bit more. Or that's how I did it. Use 1-2 tablespoons per load, adjusting to load size and how dirty the clothes are. I'm also using vinegar in place of liquid fabric softener. Actually, I got some Dollar General brand liquid softener and use it with the vinegar so it's about 1/4 softener and the rest vinegar. Clothes are clean and soft and don't smell like vinegar. So economical! Love it! Recommend it! Oh, and the washing soda, borax and fels naptha can be found in a very small section of the laundry section in your local walmart or whatever. If I had blinked I never would have found it.

Thank God all the vehicles are running right now. They all have weird tire issues, but they are all running.

R, JT and Skylar will be here sometime on Sat. Woot!! We are all looking forward to that.

Ok, must go change out the laundry, paint some Christmas gifts and get on with the day.

3 comments:

Kelly Bartlett said...

Glad you are loving the homemade laundry soap. Just read up on the effects on our bodies from fabric softeners and cleaning chemicals and you will love the simple homemade stuff even more.

Amy said...

Thanks for telling me about it! What are you using for fabric softener and household cleaning?

Anonymous said...

as for J's hair get some relaxer to comb through it and that makes in long and more white like or comb a perm through it or just go to walmart stand in the black folks hair prodects looking alittle lost cuz you is and ask the 1st black persons that walks in for help with relaxers