Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Tomatoes, tomatoes

We've been enjoying the tomatoes from the garden as they slowly got ripe. We even had some fried green tomatoes. Then a whole bunch of them ripened at the same time. I decided to make salsa and spaghetti sauce. Usually I'm just fine with the store bought stuff but I didn't want to waste the tomatoes so I thought I'd give it a try. Everyone is pleased with the results though I think the salsa is too sweet. I used a recipe with sugar in it and next time I will reduce or omit it. I plan to make another batch without sugar and mix them and freeze it. Here is the salsa.

And here is the spaghetti sauce.

I thought it was interesting that they both have the same basic ingredients; tomatoes, onions, garlic, peppers (though the salsa has considerable more peppers) and then they are tweeked with specific spices to give them their flavor. Made me think of how we are basically the same but we each have specific spices to give us flavor. Be spicy!

No comments: