Thursday, March 10, 2011

Lost in translation

I haven't done a lost in translation post in a while. J is full of things that are lost in translation, I just can't always remember them. The other night T was listening to ring tones for his i-phone and J heard one and said, "Ew. Dat would get some one's nerve on." I said, "I think you mean it would get on some one's nerves."

He was sitting on my lap the other evening and I showed him some chewed up chocolate cookie in my mouth, because I'm mature like that, and he said, "Eww! Mommy!! You are supposed to tell us not to do dat ting!" Oops, my bad.

He cracked me up yesterday evening trying to study for a social study quiz. It was about Attila the Hun and Eastern Goths and Gothic literature. J wouldn't say that the Great Wall of China was to keep out the Huns, he kept referring to them as "de attackers." He never used the words "attack and plunder". He kept saying that, "Dey beat dem up and take deir stuff." He couldn't say Attila but kept referring to him as "Alleluia de Hun." Eventually he started calling him "Atilda". The Eastern Goths became the "Easter Guts." (most of that was pronunciation). Gothic literature is known, according to J, as being "dark and glowing". It was supposed to be "gloomy." Gloomy-glowing. So close. But one thing he knows for sure is that "Alleluia" or "Atilda" the Hun died of a nosebleed.

No comments: