Friday, May 7, 2010

Lost in translation

J is still reading at a first grade level. His ESL teacher sends home little books for him to read to us every day. The other day I was really busy and he got his book out to read to me and I didn't take a look at the cover. He told me it was about "our sentences". I wondered a little bit what the story was but didn't question him. He began reading, "We use our sentences to learn about the world" (or something like that-I don't remember exact wording). I was thinking, huh? He kept on reading, "I use my sentence of touch to..." I stopped him and asked to look at the book and told him the correct word is "senses, not sentences". He told me no, look, that it said "sentences". I told him again that the word was "senses-we have five senses" but he stumbled on that word through the rest of the little book. Sentences=senses. Did you know you have five sentences? Me neither.

No comments: