Thursday, April 15, 2010

Adoption

I read on another blog that JSCIS wanted people to blog about their adoptions today. I don't know why. This whole blog has been a lot about our adoption story. You can click on the labels of "adoption", "adoption (or lack thereof)" or "or lack of adoption" to read all about it. Here it is in a nutshell; we made the decision to adopt in August of '05 and began the homestudy and dossier prep in Sept. of '05. We also contacted a few orphanages and printed out pics of a few boys. In Oct. '05 we were matched with J but birthmom was saying no at first. Just before Christmas '05 she said yes. We slowly muddled through the Haitian process and by April of '07 J had our last name in an adoption decree. All we had to do was go through the Ministry of Interior and get a passport and visa. Yeah, right. In April of '08 it was determined that our file was lost (along with 3 others) and we began the process of "reconstituting" the file. By the time our file entered MOI again in early Jan. '09 I had decided to spend the month in Haiti with J at T's parents. His mom had pneumonia and back to back teams so we helped out some with that. Hardest thing I've ever done and I'm so glad I did it. I still sometimes work off that base I established with him during that time. They added to the MOI process while I was there and we didn't get the passport until July of '09. We got a visa appointment in August and came into the states on Aug. 29th and home on the 30th. And here we are, 7 1/2 months later.

No comments: