Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas giving

I'm still processing my emotions from when I picked J up 3 1/2 months ago to finally, after a four year wait, bring him home. I had come to take him home and say hello to a new life. I was so happy. His birth mom came to say good-bye. Her heart was broken. How do you process that?

As J has been home he has given little glimpses of his life before he knew us. This is a resilient child. We feel like his mother gave him life, twice. Once by giving birth and once by choosing adoption for him. I've honestly struggled over the years about how I felt about his birth mom. I've wondered why she chose adoption for him and if it was a selfish decision or a self-less decision. From what we've been able to piece together, it was completely self-less. I have great respect for this woman who set her own feelings aside and did what she had to do to protect her child and hopefully give him a better life. Her heart was breaking as she sat there on the couch, the three of us, and said good-bye to her son. There are no words for these feelings.

There are just not a lot of options for women and children in Haiti. There is no welfare system. There are no safe houses. Jobs are scarce and jobs for untrained women with children are pretty much nonexistent.

There are some people who are trying to make a difference in the lives of the women and children in Haiti. These are real people whom I have met and spent time with. I stayed with the Livesay family my last night in Haiti after I had spent the month of January down there with J. It was exactly what I needed and God used them to minister to me. It was nice to feel "normal". Hope kept me entertained just talking to me. And then we went to the McHoul's house for dinner and fellowship. It was just what I needed. John and Beth are warm and inviting. The Buxmans and another family (I'm sorry I can't remember your names, how awful is that?) were there too and I really felt welcomed.

While we (J, a friend and I) were there to pick J up we stayed with the people who had been house parents for J for about 9 months. Shelley and Corrigan are wonderful people who are living and working in Haiti to make a difference and to keep families together. They strive to find ways to help empower Haitians to make a living to support their families whether they are men or women.

For Christmas this year my SIL felt led to just give smaller gifts and use the rest of the money that would have been spent and pooling it together to give to different charities that were on our hearts. We've really gotten into it and have enjoyed doing this. If you have done something similar and are wondering where it should go, I can personally vouch for each of these ministries. I've watched the Heartline women's group in session. I've heard Paige (at 14 years old) translate for the women's group. I've seen the sewing machines and have touched the purses of Haitian Creations. I've watched the women do bead work at the Apparent Project. I've met some of the women who are trying to earn money to keep their families intact. I've met a mom whose heart was broken as she said good-bye to her son. Please consider these as you give this Christmas. Or buy someone a gift from these ministries. Here are links for you to read more about each ministry.
http://www.livesayhaiti.blogspot.com/ (Be sure to watch their Christmas video)
http://www.heartlineministries.org/
http://www.haitiancreations.com/
http://www.apparentproject.blogspot.com/
http://www.heartlinerunners.blogspot.com/ (Several people are running a marathon to raise money for Heartline Women's ministry.) Check them all out. Thanks!

No comments: