Saturday, March 14, 2009

Snotitis, fish, art and a new baby

We're still here, just having a hard time blogging these days. Not a lot of time and some junky things going on here that we're working through. Pray for us. Our adoption file is still in the "extra step" that they added to MOI while I was in Haiti. Are you surprised? Huge sigh...it feels like he'll never come home and I spent a month with him so I know what we're missing and what he's missing and it breaks my heart. Again, pray for us.

R and I and a friend of hers went to the Atlanta area this week for a few days. We visited with Mrs. H, saw her new grandbaby, shopped, went to the Georgia Aquarium and to the High Museum of Art. We had a good time but it went by really fast. R is not looking forward to going back to school on Monday. Oh well.

On the way home I started getting a sore throat. I've been having what I call "fibro-flu" a lot lately where I get achy and feel like I'm coming down with something. Sometimes it includes a sore throat and even a low-grade fever but after I sleep I feel better. I had that last Wed., Fri., Sun., and Mon., but this felt different. The sore throat was worse. Now I have snotitis too. Sigh...lots of people around here have it right now. I hope I can sing tomorrow.

Okay, pics from the trip. There are no art museum pics as you are not allowed to take any there. The Aquarium was a great place for pics though. When you first walk into the building they have tanks on either side of the hallway and these fish just keep swimming by. It must be circular tanks because they just keep coming, over and over.

They had several "touch tanks" where you could actually touch the animals. Here, we were touching stingrays and sharks.

The colors never cease to amaze me.
These otters were too cute.

Here is another "touch tank" with starfish and sea anemones. That's R's arm.

They had some beluga whales there. They just kind of float around in their tank. This guy was there as part of a breeding program. He spent a lot of time upside down. Goofy thing.

Here he is, right side up. We learned that the males are bigger and their front fins are curled and the females are usually just flared straight out.
This is a whale shark. (or was it a shark whale?)

These guys were pretty cool looking. They were iridescent and nearly see-through.

R called this guy the "buck-tooth bunny" fish. His front teeth kind of stuck out. Isn't he cute?

The penguins were not in their regular enclosure because they were building a new dolphin exhibit next to them and the construction noises freak them out. We had to take a special little side tour to see them. They weren't the arctic kind. These guys were from Africa.

Oh, these were the weirdest things ever. They were called garden eels. I don't like eels anyway and these were just kind of freaky. Most of their bodies stay below the sand but they can go up and down easily. Bizzare. Every time a larger fish swam by they would go below and then they would push right back up when it left.

It looked like there were two different kinds, striped and spotted. They kind of interacted with each other too. That included an altercation.

This is my "floating jellyfish pic".

These jellyfish kept changing colors. We're not sure if they were changing color or if they were reflecting the light somehow. It was interesting either way. Here they're blue.

And here they're yellowish. They also turned a green color.

Look at this spiny character. I wouldn't want to accidently step on him.

Here is Mrs. H's daughter and new grand daughter.

Here is the baby sleeping on one of her big brother's chest.

We had never been to an art museum. They had the terracotta army display which was quite interesting. To think that we were looking at pieces that were only recently dug up after being buried for over 2,000 years was quite remarkable. Thousands of life size soldiers made out of clay along with chariots and horses and each man and horse was a little different. Just amazing. It was made by China's first emperor in his quest to live forever and rule from the after-life. There was trench after trench of terracotta soldiers. I'm so glad I have the assurance that I can live forever in Christ.

No comments: