Sunday, February 13, 2011

Crazy around here

It has been crazy around here. A is 18. Holy Moses, does that make me feel old. The youngest child that I gave birth to is 18. A little about A. She is artsy, smart, and interesting. She wants a belly button piercing, now that she can get one without my permission. I'm rather neutral on that subject. I think it's a waste of money but I'm not going to throw a fit and tell her no. She took her ACT test again yesterday and thinks that she lucked out on the science the first time around and that her score may go down. She got a 24 the first time around, which isn't bad but she just wanted to improve it. We shall see. She still doesn't have a job. She cleaned out her room this week, kind of a "new beginning", and was amazed at all the things she found in there. I was amazed too. She took out no less than 4 large, black trash bags of trash and has two plastic tubs to go up into the attic. She gave a bunch of things to J so when I got home from work Thursday he told me A was being so nice to him by unloading her extras on him. Ha! We struggle some and don't understand each other always but I love her dearly and am so proud of her!

J is struggling with schoolwork. He is perfectly capable of what they are asking of him, he just doesn't want to do it. He was close to tantruming (is that a word?) the other day and I asked him if he wanted to learn. He said no. I asked him if he wanted to get a good job some day and he said no. I told him that he wasn't going to be able to live with us indefinitely and asked him how he was going to support himself and he said, "I will pick tings out of de trash." OMG! It simultaneously broke my heart and frustrated the poo out of me. He is 1 1/2 years removed from Haiti, 6 1/2 years removed from living on the streets in Haiti and yet right there at the top of his thoughts was, I can survive. I will just pick things out of the trash. Sigh...how to parent that?

Well, that covers the kids. T hurt his back helping my dad with his water pipes. He's hobbling around and going to the chiropractor is top on his list of things to do tomorrow. He is completely enjoying his iphone and annoying the rest of us who don't have one. He is also enjoying his truck, Big Daddy.

And I have a ganglion cyst on my wrist that has been there for years but never bothered me. It's bothering me now. Sigh...I'm wearing a wrist brace and am quite dependant on it right now and I have a doc appointment on Friday. Maybe it will go away before then. A gal can hope, right?

No comments: