Sunday, April 5, 2009

43 months and counting...

Yes, it really is 43 months that we've been waiting for J. We made the decision to adopt in Aug. '05 and began the homestudy and paperchase in Sept. '05. We were matched with J in Dec. '05. He was 7, just about 8, when we started the homestudy. Now he's 11.

Our dossier was in Haiti in Jan. '06. We were in MAFA (Ministry of Foreign Affairs) March-May of '06 and in IBESR (Haitian social services) July of '06. In Jan. '07 there was a mistake discovered on the birth certificate and that was corrected and we were signed out in March '07.

We got out of Parquet (legal system) in May '07 and entered MOI (Ministry of Interior). It's not clear what happened here. Our file was declared lost in April of '08 and we've been in the "do over" process since then. Plus there were mistakes on papers that took time to fix. But our file did make it back to MOI the end of Dec. '08. I was in Haiti for the month of Jan. and while I was there they added another step to the MOI process. Now, after waiting 2 months for that extra step, our lawyer has the papers back and they will return to MOI on Monday. Prayers are appreciated.

So much has changed here in that time. R got her driver's license, graduated from high school and started college. A started high school and has her learner's permit. I remember hoping that J would get home before A started high school so she could be at the same school with him for a little while. Ha! Countless holidays and family vacations have come and gone without him here. He has had a room in our house all ready for him for 2 years. A room that we built just for him. He has a closet full of clothes that he may never wear. I spent a month with him and I miss him terribly, plus I know what he's missing. It breaks my heart but I still have peace. On most days anyway.

I got to talk to him this afternoon. I read him a book that I read to him often in January. We played an "I love you" game that we played in January. I asked him if he remembers our car's name and he said, "Big Momma" with a silly grin on his face. I really miss him. Please storm the gates of Heaven with your prayers for our family. Thanks.

And while y'all are at it, please pray for healing for Stellan. You can read about him here; www.mycharmingkids.net

No comments: